Re: [Radiance-general] Glass & MTL file troubles... (or how to go from Revit to Radiance with little pain...)

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu May 11 10:35:00 CEST 2006

Hi!

> How important is it to have the Windows be a lightsource
> for interior renderings?

You will get nicer Renderings with lower ambient settings. But with big
window openings, it should not be really necessary to use mkillum. If you
use it, consider generating the faces in another tool that gives you more
control, maybe "even" writing them with an editor.

> looking in.  Not sure how you're flattening the planes, but I'll bet
> you're still ending up with a pair of triangular polys representing
> the glass plane, and who the hell knows which way they're facing.
> mkillum likes regular polygons.

Triangles don't work with mkillum. Still, the obj format is not limited to
triangles, it depends more on the modeler (and you must make sure that the
panes are 100% plain).

> > to hear a way to take the exported .MTL file and turn it into a
> > starting point for my .MAT (short of having to write my own tool to
> > do so...).

Do you know obj2rad's -n option?

CU Lars.