[Radiance-general] RGB values for different glazings

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon May 1 17:16:58 CEST 2006

Hi Rob,

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:
> Jack de Valpine wrote:
>

>> Probably the best way to get a more sophisticated material
>> description for a specific glazing make-up is to export glazing specs
>> from Optics one at a time (ie the glass used for surface 1/2 as one
>> export and the glass used for surface 3/4 as another export) and then
>> use the RGB and specularity values with the glaze.csh script that
>> comes with Radiance. The script will enable you to output a more
>> sophisticated material definition that better accounts for angular
>> dependencies in the material. Note that the geometry is normal
>> dependent, requiring that the glass geometry be modeled with the
>> normal being pointed to the interior of the building (hope I got this
>> right, I am working off memory here).
>
> Hi Jack,
>
> I forgot all about glaze!!  Thanks for the reminder.  I also had no
> idea that Greg added the ability to read in files; this makes it
> infinitely more useful. I assume you simply take all the
> glazing/coatings you want and export each to a radiance file from
> Optics5, and then feed them to glaze with the -f switch, huh?  That's
> great, you guys.  Thanks again to Greg for the work, and Jack is being
> very modest in his post by mentioning the tool but not mentioning the
> fact that his company funded the work.  Thanks to you both.

Unfortunately it is not quite that streamlined.... The -f switch takes a
file with specific formatting (one glazing description per line) which
is then parsed by the glaze script. I think that if you run glaze -f
with nothing else it will spit out the formatting requirements... I
should probably come up with an example to show this... Let me see what
I can do by way of example on this to demonstrate how it works. You are
right though that the -f switch makes it way more convenient to use
glaze for specific libraries of glazing on a per project basis.