[Radiance-general] specifying sources

william reynolds william.reynolds at oriel.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 18:47:58 CEST 2006

Hi
thanks for your suggestions greg, though i'm afraid i'm still having a
bit of trouble getting to grips with this one!

I have my hdr capture sources working fine, and now i've got them scaled
to emit a physically correct brightness.

but i'm still struggling with the colour rendering.
i have converted my CIE XYZ values to radiance RGB primaries, and
rendered a test scene. the colour is a bit out for what the filter
should be, but not wildly i dont think.
i have read your paper though, and i would like to try the rendering in
a diferent colour space, for the sake of comparision, and also to
correct the white point.

converting to sharp RGB:
-i think i can just change some constants in the xyz_rgb.cal file,
(values for sharp RGB are given in Sharp.cal) to change the clour space.
-i assume that all colours (ie of materials as well as sources) have to
be converted?
-the rendered picture will then be in th sharp RGB colour space, which
ximage does not use, so every pixel in the image then has to be
converted to back to the radiance RGB primaries. is this right? if so,
is there a utility to apply the transformation to a .pic file or do i
need to write a script?

white point adjustment:
-presumably the white point that radiance uses is the same as most
monitors (D65 i think) so i need to transform from the white point of
the XYZ colour space to that of the sharp RGB (or radiance RGB) colour
space, but only because of this change in colour space.
-can anyone start me off with how to apply the white point
transformation? i assume it uses the vonKries.cal file, and that the
inputs (initial and final white point cramaticities) are standard values
for the colour spaces in question, but how is it used!?
-the XYZ data (and the xy coordinates) i have are given for both a C
source (the CIE standard?) and for a tungsten lamp with colout temp
3200K, so i presume i should use the tungsten readings (as my lamps are
tungsten).
-the sources i am modelling are tungsten, but i want an accurate
representation of what the colour will look like, so presumably i need
some sort of white point transformatin to correct their slight
orangeness, as the eye is quite good at correcting this, i believe. how
should i specify this? i know the lamps' colour temperature (about 3200K).

and finally, how should i apply the colour to my sources?
-i have XYZ tristimulus and xy cromaticity coordinate data for the
filters i want to use, but i'm not sure of the best way to apply it.
(data comes from eg.  http://www.leefilters.com/LPFD.asp?PageID=248  )
-i could either the calculated RGB values to scale the output from my
source primative (though would i have to take the Y value
(reflectance/transmission depending on the context i believe) into
account, or is this done automatically in the conversion?). This is what
i did for my first test run earlier (converting XYZ values to radiance
RGB primaries, and then not using the Y value again), and the result
seemed to bright for the filter i was using (i had 2 sources in the
scene, one coloured, the other not, and they were both of similar
brigtness).
-or i could use the RGB values to define the transmission of a thin
piece of glass, and place this in front of the source (as a real filter is).

i'm sorry to keep asking long questions, but thanks once again for the
help, its proved invaluable in building up my understanding Radiance,
but its also really kindled my interest in the whole area!
will