[Radiance-general] mkillum useage with large scenes

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Mar 16 18:59:14 CET 2006

Hi group,

while I have been using mkillum for a while now, I need your advice on
its application again.

I have a large scene, and so far, I had an external file containing only
the illums. So I could use the external file as mkillum's input and run
it with the (large) scene's octree:

mkillum large_scene.oct < only_illum_faces.rad > only_illum_sources.rad

than, later

oconv large_scene.rad only_ilum_sources.rad > full_scene.oct

(eh, I could have used oconv -i large_scene.oct only_illum_sources.rad >
full_scene.oct, right?)

But now I have to change the structure of my scene a bit, and it gets
difficult to keep the illums in an external file. So, given that
large_scene.oct is made of large_scene.rad, could I equally use

mkillum large_scene.oct < large_scene.rad > only_illum_sources.rad

given that I set the right -i=illummodifier at the beginning of
large_scene.rad? Will this use much more ressources? As I understand,
the only difference should be file access, as the full file will be sent
to mkillum instead of only the faces that are to be converted.

If you wonder why I do not simply try, it is because my model is build
by some scripts I have to change, and I wonder if it is worth it and
possible at least.

TIA+CU, Lars.

P.S.: Concering the link I sent, now I know that I REALLY missed what I
should have seen on the workshop :-(