[Radiance-general] Guidelines for trans Material

Marcus Jacobs marcdevon at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 3 16:30:22 CEST 2006

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the insight. First, concerning my oddly shaped lighting fixtures,
the ones that I have modeled actually look like this:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/marcdevon/bathroomview.jpg

So I think they are actually more complicated that the example that I showed
to you before. Out of curiosity, just as many modeling software estimate a
complex surface as a mesh of planes or triangles, could the same principle
be used for the lighting fixtures themselves. In other words, instead of
seeing each fixture as a single complex surface, can it be considered it as
just a group of flat planes? One item that I need to have addressed is
whether I should model the diffuse shades a single surface or if it
acceptable to have inner and outer surfaces (you can think of it as having a
thickness to it). See here:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/marcdevon/luminaireview.jpg

The information in Rayfront's user manual and pages 325-326 from RwR were
VERY useful to me in gaining insight as to how Radiance treats light. There
was a word that was mentioned that has me worried. Measure. Aside from not
having any experience with performing a empirical test of light
distribution, measuring light sounds very expensive. May I ask, would
purchasing the needed equipment require a second mortgage to be taken out or
giving up one's first born? Is it required to use transfunc or transdata in
lieu of trans to obtain acceptable accuracy?

Thanks,

Marcus