[Radiance-general] Guidelines for trans Material

Marcus Jacobs marcdevon at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 22:45:50 CEST 2006

Dear Group

I am modeling a bathroom that will use translucent light fixtures similar to
this:

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/725916808877_3.jpg

I wish to accurately simulate the light distribution from the fixtures
however I do not know where to begin as far as determining physically valid
parameters for the trans material. Does anyone here know where I may obtain
data for such light fixtures and how to correctly translate this data into
Radiance?

I have some additional questions concerning the trans material type. In a
Radiance reference manual, it is stated:

"Trans is a translucent material, similar to plastic. The transmissivity is
the fraction of penetrating
light that travels all the way through the material. The transmitted
specular component is the fraction of transmitted light that is not
diffusely scattered. Transmitted and diffusely reflected light is modified
by the material color. Translucent objects are infinitely thin."

First, should the transmissivity + transmitted specular component = 1 in
order for the material to be physically correct? Also, since the transmitted
specular component is the fraction of transmitted light that is not
diffusely scattered, does this mean that this is apart of the direct
calculation or is this too apart of the indirect calculation.

Thanks

Marcus