[Radiance-general] BRTDFunc material tutorial?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 17:52:53 CET 2006

Hi Kirk,

Probably the simplest example using the BRTDfunc type is the
glaze.csh script output and its associated glaze1.cal and glaze2.cal
auxiliary files.  These may be found in the ray/src/gen directory of
the latest Radiance distribution.  If this is not enough for you, you
can look at the attached He.cal file for ideas.

It might be possible to make use of the Curet database, but no one
has done it yet with Radiance, as far as I know.  You would probably
want to apply the plasdata or transdata primitives, rather than
BRTDfunc, which is awkward to use with a large dataset directly.

I'm sorry I don't have any better examples of BRDF use, but the
common method is to fit the data to one of the Gaussian distribution
models, which offer more complete and efficient ray interactions.
Specifically, the BRDF types do not account for indirect specular
components, though I believe there is some support for this in the
photon map extension.

At the 2005 Eurographics Symposium on Rendering, Addy Ngan presented
the following paper:

Experimental Analysis of BRDF Models
Addy Ngan, FrŽdo Durand, and Wojciech Matusik

which is online at:

	http://people.csail.mit.edu/addy/research/brdf/

The "supplemental document" linked above contains a very nice list of
BRDF materials and their fits to the "Ward model," which is used in
Radiance.  If you are applying this to a recent version of Radiance
(3.6 or later), then you'll actually want to use the coefficients for
the "Ward-Duer model," as it includes the correction to the
normalization of my original model, pointed out by Arne Duer of the
Univ. of Innsbruck (and also Don Walters of Boeing Corporation).
Unfortunately, Ngan et al. only cover isotropic materials in this
document.  They did measure a couple of anisotropic materials, and I
have further information on those, but there isn't really enough and
the fit wasn't good enough to make them worth using in Radiance.

I hope this helps.