[Radiance-general] splitting a render by light sources - rtcontrib

william reynolds william.reynolds at oriel.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 29 00:44:56 CET 2006

hi all
so i managed to get rtcontrib to produce me a picture - it turned out to
be a combination of the suggestions people wrote, but noteably the need
to adjust the exposure.
however the image that i'm producing has terrible jagged edges to the
lit area. (i'm using the spotlight primitive, with penumbras turned off
- so i should get a clean, sharp pool of light on the wall.)
it looks to me much worse than aliassing, but i dont know whether thats
true.
i have tried pfilt on the .pic file, reducing the size and adding a
little gaussian blur, but that doesnt fix the problem.

does anyone have any suggestions?
here is my opt file for the rendering settings:
-dp 2048
-ar 64
-ms 0.13
-ds .2
-dt .05
-dc .75
-dr 3
-sj 1
-st .01
-ab 3
-af theatre.amb
-aa .125
-ad 512
-as 64
-av 0.062 0.062 0.062
-lr 12
-lw .0005
-av 0 0 0
-ad 500
-ab 10
-aa 0.01

and i'll happilly email anyone the .pic produced. (im assuming i cant
put attachments on this list.)

while i'm writing, im a bit confused by the exposure settings for pfilt,
perhaps someone could shed some light on that for me. i seem to be able
to run:
pfilt -e 1 image.pic, and get a very  bright image back, when i cant see
anything but black in the original. - i thought that -e 1 would mean
multiply by 1, so no change, is that wrong?

thanks for your help.
will