[Radiance-general] Trans material and photon map

Erico Rosa erosa at gsd.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 27 03:01:16 CET 2006

Hi folks,

I have built a scene where a 5.6m tall cylinder is piping sunlight
(solar altitude: 80) inside a 5-meter radius sphere (bubble). The tube's
origin is in the center of the sphere and it ends at the top of the
sphere. I have set the rtrace measurement points inside the sphere at
every 10 degrees (180 total), so I can transform that in an IES file
later on. The rtrace (and rpict) of the photon-mapping is running fine
showing the specular reflection on the bottom of the sphere.

As a next step, I added a "diffuser" at the origin of the cylinder,
inside the sphere, using a "trans" material for an isotropic
distribution. The readings I get now show the same illuminance value for
every measurement point. This is the script:

oconv sky.rad scene.rad ports.rad > pipe80.oct

oconv -i pipe80.oct > i_pipe80.oct

mkpmap -app pipe80.gpm 1000000 100 -t 60 -apc pipe80.cpm 1000000 -apO
./ports i_pipe80.oct

rtrace -w -h -I -ab 1 -ad 16384 -aa 0.01 -ar 512 -app pipe80.gpm -apc
pipe80.cpm 100 -e errors.rad i_pipe80.oct < points.inp | rcalc -f
rcalc.rad > data.dat

The total luminous flux reaching the diffuser is bouncing from the
cylinder. Is it a problem between the parameters and "trans", with the
pmap and "trans" or something else?
Erico