[Radiance-general] Sunlight through glass

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Wed Jan 18 16:40:55 CET 2006

Giulio and Jack,

I agree as well.  I do not think the M-R users are angry because the
software is not quantitatively accurate enough for their liking, it
is obvious that the users of M-R want photoreal renderings, not
physically accurate, quantitative data.  The mob appears to be
restless because of the unfulfilled promises that M-R appear to
market - I think the users have various but specific 2nd or 3rd order
desired effects for the renderer (caustics, sun behind glass or
whatever) -  things they believe add photorealism to their renders
(things that "look cool").  I don;t think they really care about or
appreciate the quantitative physical accuracy of the solution, they
just want all of the subtle physical phenomena to be present in their
output.  Trying to mollify that kind of user amidst many other
similar requests is almost impossible I would think, regardless of
how M-R market their renderer.  Then multiply that by the number of
platforms and 3rd party 3D modeler plug-ins they tout and you have a
recipe for ... well what they have on the forum.

Man, that is an angry crowd on the forum though.

If anyone is interested, here is a thread that demonstrates the
sunlight through glass "problem" that started this whole discussion.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11102

kirk