[Radiance-general] Sunlight through glass

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Tue Jan 17 18:41:38 CET 2006

So I've been following this raging debate over at the Maxwell Render
forums regarding the physical accuracy of renderers and the specific
problem of visualizing the following scenario, to the best of my
understanding:

Architectural rendering folks want a renderer that can accurately
depict sunlight, through glass into the interior of a space.  They
want this interior lighting to be visualizable from the exterior of
the space as if you were standing outside with your camera, looking
through the window, into the interior of the space.

here are some quotes:

1.
- - - - - - -
No one has presented a proper sollution to this problem.
I´m referring to rendering an interior space seen from an outside
view in sunlight, trough glass without cheating.

This is a milestome in 3d art!!
If the MR team feel confident to deliver this in due time ok!!
  - - - - - -

2.
  --  - - -
I assume you mean it would be a milestone for Maxwell? Every other
renderer I've ever seen can handle this very easily.
  - - - - -

3.
  - - - - -
he key is that he said "without cheating".

No other renderers can do it in the physically correct way. They all
make it up.
  - - - - -
etc.

Is this a difficult rendering scenario for RADIANCE or any other
renderer or are these people missing something?  There are some
seriously pissed off people in the Maxwell Render forums, especially
a lot of architect types who seem to think that the beta releases of
M-R should solve all of their problems. I was more curious about the
ability of Radiance to handle this type of scenario versus M-R which
claims to be a physically-based renderer.

Thoughts?

Let me also be very clear that, after reading the vituperous

kirk

Kirk L. Thibault, Ph.D.
kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com

p.  215.271.7720