[Radiance-general] accurate light levels

william reynolds william.reynolds at oriel.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 14 16:59:32 CET 2006

hi there

As I said in my other question today (spliting a render by light
sources) I am quite new to radiance, and I am having some issues setting
  up my renderings. I have radiance installed and working fine, but I
dont quite understand how I make sure the brightness of the final render
is realistic. There are a few reasons for this:

I'm not sure what exposure setting to use with pfilt - is it as simple
as setting '-e 1' so as not to adjust the exposure? I have tried this
and my images all come out very dark, but this might be because I don't
have enough light in the scene (see next paragraph, below).

Has anyone used radiance with any theatrical light fixtures? and would
they be prepared to share the .rad files for them? I have found the .rad
descriptions of architectural fixtures, but i'm not familiar with any of
them, and even if I was I need to be able to use accurate models of the
specific instruments I'll be using in theatres. I would simply build my
own files, using the iestorad utility, but rather unhelpfully the
instrument manufacturers dont seem willing to give out ies data.

Has anyone made any more materials information available to the public?
I have looked through the material.rad list of materilas in the lib
folder, but I'm specifically looking black paint and heavy black cloth
type materials. If not, then does anyone have any recomendations of how
to go about determining good values to use in my own materials
definitions? I dont have access to any way of measuring reflected light
levels in an experiment.

Thanks for your help with my probably rather basic questions
Will