[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro - Apple and Intel

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 05:06:11 CET 2006

Hi Kirk,

Radiance should definitely be recompiled for the Intel platform, and
I will endeavor to supply binaries for both architectures in the next
release.  Photosphere can be cross-compiled using Xcode 2, and I will
be testing that just as soon as someone I know picks up one of the
new Intel-based Apples.  (It seems very strange to use "Intel" and
"Apple" in the same sentence without "versus" in between.)  The iMac
is supposedly out as of today, but the Mac Book Pro isn't shipping
until February.

The main difference from a programming standpoint between the two
machines is that the PowerPC family is BigEndian while Intel is
LittleEndian (different byte orders).  This can affect binary files
that are not machine-independent.  In Radiance, this includes
holodeck files and depth buffers (-z option of rpict).  I think
that's it.  All the other standard file types are designed to port
across architectures.  Photosphere uses a byte-ordering translator on
its binary catalog file, but I haven't had the chance to actually
test it up until now.  It will be working when I make an universal
version available.

You can see <http://www.apple.com/rosetta/> for more information.

-Greg

P.S.  I'm kicking myself a bit for having bought a new PowerBook last
Summer.  Hopefully, Rob Guglielmetti held off with his Christmas
purchase.  Everyone said that the iBooks would be the first to
switch, but apparently not.