[Radiance-general] HDRI - Camera Response Curve

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Tue Jan 10 18:36:39 CET 2006

Makes sense.  I was curious about this simply because I wondered how
robust the Camera Response Curves are in accounting for camera-based
pre-processing.  Some cameras do things to the RAW data to enhance
contrast, boost saturation etc. and then write the JPEG.  Some
cameras allow the user to define the amount of this processing (I'm
thinking of the Canon Digital Rebel that I shoot with, but I imagine
that many cameras now offer user control of these parameters in some
form).  Do the camera response curves essentially account for these
settings inasmuch as they affect the way the camera "exposes" the RAW
image data from the sensor (referring to your statement below about
second-guessing what the camera is doing)?  I know that generating
HDR images from multi-exposure LDR images "demands" that auto-white
balance not be used - are there similar suggestions for the camera-
based pre-processing parameters like contrast, saturation, etc. that
may affect HDR generation or is that essentially what the curves
compensate for (assuming that the same exact pre-processing camera
parameters are applied to each image)?  Because these pre-processing
algorithms are automated, would they necessarily be applied
consistently across the entire range of exposures or could they
introduce some sort of changing response similar to a changing white
balance that might affect the combination of the LDRs and the
extraction of a response curve?

I suppose I could experiment by setting the parameters on my Digital
Rebel to combinations of extrema in a relatively controlled lighting
situation and see if it matters, but I'm not sure I would know what
to look for to measure any differences that might occur.  Clearly my
limited understanding of the physics is being exposed here (my
limited understanding has a very large apparent dynamic range) -
which may mean that in my dimwitted approach, it may not matter anyway!
:-)

Thanks,

kirk

Kirk L. Thibault, Ph.D.