[Radiance-general] trans - georg vs greg vs book

Brett Beeson brettbeeson at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 9 23:44:01 CET 2006

Hi all,

We've all gone over trans several times and there appears to be much
confusion about the parameters.  I present an inconsistency when working
from

(1) Radiance book
(2) Georg's diagram
(http://www.schorsch.com/rayfront/manual/transdef.html)
(3) Greg Ward's emailed example (Desktop Radiance Digest v2n7, Sep 1994,
in RADIANCE_HOME/doc/digest/v2n7).

Clearing up of the inconsistency will help me and many others!

To summarise my understanding the trans arguments

A1,A2,A3 - colour components.  As shown by "colour" diamond in Georg's
diagram. Fraction of light NOT absorbed for each component.=
A4, A5 - specular reflection, roughness (ignore, 0 for following
examples)
A6 - trans ("trans" diamond on georg's diagram).  (ie, fraction
non-absorbed light transmitted through material.)
A7 - specular proportion of transmitted light (ignore)

According to the Radiance Book:

A1 = Cr / (1-Rs)(1-A6)

*I assume that A6 = "trans" diamond on georg's diagram.*

Greg's example:

Requirement: grey trans material.  Transmission factor of 60% (ie
*total* amount of light going through).  Specular component of 10%:

void trans opale
0
0
7 .6 .6 .6 0 0 1 .1666

ie
A1 = 0.6
A6 = 1

We adapt a number of his formulae to show this meets the requirements.
>From Georg's diagram (note no reflection, as per Greg's example)

Diffuse reflectance Rd = (1 - Rs)(colour)(1 - trans)
                       = (1 - 0 )(0.6   )(1 - 1    )
                       = 1 x 0.6 x 0
                       = 0 (ie no diffuse reflectance, => 40% is
                       absorbed)

Diffuse transmittance Td = (1 - Rs)(colour)(trans)(1 - Tspec)
                         = (1 - 0 )(0.6   )(1    )(1 - 0.1666)
                         = 50%

Specular transmittance Ts = (1 - Rs)(colour)(trans)(Tspec)
                          = (1 - 0 )(0.6   )(1    )(0.1666)
			  = 10%

That's great and seems to make sense.

But - the inconsistency:

Plug this example into Radiance book's formula.  (Stiil assume Rs=0.)

A1 = Cr / (1 - Rs)(1 - A6)
A1 = Cr / (1 - 0 )(1 - A6)
A1 = Cr / (1 - A6)

* Now consider what happens as A6 approaches 1.  A1 tends to infinity -
clearly not correct.*

My questions are then:

-   Is A6 = trans (in the diamond in Georg's diagram) as both Greg and
Georg appear to show.  (ie. is A6 the fraction the non-absorbed light
that is not diffusely reflected?)
-   If so, why doesn't the Radiance book formula make sense?
-   What is Cr, Cb and Cg?
-   Does total transmissivity = (1 - Rs)(colour)(trans) ?

Thanks for reading and thinking!

Cheers,

Brett

Brett Beeson
Sustainable Designer

CUNDALL
HSBC Building Level 20
300 Queen Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
tel:   +61 (0)7 3023 5048
fax:  +61 (0)7 3023 4000
www.cundall.com.au <http://www.cundall.com.au/>

Important Notice.  Use of this email and any attachments is subject to
the  terms on www.cundall.com.au.
Please read that notice before proceeding.
If you cannot access these terms please telephone (02) 8424 7000 or