[Radiance-general] obj2mesh proposal

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:18:07 CET 2006

Hi Thomas,

As I indicated in my last e-mail, which you must not have received
before sending this one, it is simplest to correct for the difference
in (u,v) coordinates in the Radiance pattern specification.  There is
no need to either modify obj2mesh or the .OBJ exporter to obtain a
correct mapping.  Radiance coordinate mappings are programmable for a
reason...

If you want to create a utility to automate the process, I suggest
creating one that converts the texture input to Radiance picture
format, simultaneously outputting an appropriate material/pattern
definition, which must be served as an input to obj2mesh, anyway.  If
you're ambitious, you could even look into translating the material
parameters to Radiance's physically-based model.  Does this make sense?