[Radiance-general] OBJ2MESH - Phong smooth shading and texture mapping

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Wed Feb 15 15:54:19 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Nicolas Roy wrote:

> I recently tried using OBJ2MESH for applying smooth shading to
> models, made using a 3rd party CAD software, and also to map
> textures. None of it worked.
>
> - I did not see any option for implementing smooth shading in
> the obj2mesh manual, can anyone helps explaining how it should
> be specified?
>
> - For mapping texture I used the following code, but there was no texture
> on the object rendered (a ball) just plain color :

Nicolas,

You've received some pretty good information. If you are not
concerned with texture coordinates, you could use a small tool
of mine to generate surface normal vectors on a OBJ file. The
program is called "rocksmooth" and it is in my "rocktools"
package, available at:

http://mark.technolope.org/rocktools/

If you find that your modeller does not output texture or normal
indexes, rocktools can read it and create just the normal vectors
and indexes.

Good luck!

Mark