[Radiance-general] Mark Stock's work on rendering large models w/o ambient cache

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:05:38 CET 2006

Hi Lars,

Many people have tried small -ad settings with the ambient cache, and
the universal result is splotchy images.  The reason it works when
you turn off the ambient cache is that each interreflection
calculation varies about the correct value randomly, and looks like
noise in the image because it takes up only one pixel (or with
downsampling, a fraction of a pixel).  Using -aa (anything positive),
you spread these high variance values into surrounding pixels, and
they look like the measles.

-Greg