[Radiance-general] gloss specifications to roughness/specularity

Matt Franks Matt.Franks at arup.com
Tue Feb 7 17:39:14 CET 2006

Jack-

There is a paper in the SIGGRAPH 2000 proceedings called "Towards a
Psychophisically-Based Light Reflection Model for Image Synthesis" by
Pellacini, Ferwerda, and Greenberg that looks at using visually
evaluated measurements to formulate a model for gloss.

They relate their visually measured parameters to the phyically based
parameters used in Radiance.  I'm not sure how it relates to other gloss
parameters or how it would actually work if you tried to use it (I
haven't), but it might be worth a look.

Let me know if you can't get hold of the paper...

-Matt