[Radiance-general] ambient accuracy parameter

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 22:04:38 CET 2006

Just wanted to chime in on this thread.  The -aa 0 setting is
appropriate when you have a lot of small geometry that isn't safe to
leave out of the ambient calculation (using the -ae or -aE options),
or for special applications such as mkillum or rtcontrib.  Turning
off the ambient cache is NOT a good idea when what you care about is
individual ray accuracy, such as when you are using rtrace to
evaluate radiance or irradiance values in a space.  It can be done
with -aa 0, but you have to pay close attention to your other
parameter settings (such as -ad, -as, -lw, and -lr) and alter them
appropriately.  The -ar setting has no effect with -aa 0.  Ditto for -
aw.

-Greg