[Radiance-general] Understanding illum correctly?

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 17:49:23 CET 2006

Hi Mark,

Yes to your first question -- this is a correct summary.

Yes also to your second question.  You didn't really need an illum
going into mkillum, though you could have used one.  It would only
speed up the mkillum calculation slightly, while actually making the
subsequent rendering take longer, since rays would always be sent to
an illum source which is forever obscured.

If you had a side-light window not computed with mkillum, then an
illum would be appropriate there.  However, you would have to follow
more closely the template offered in the Scene 0 Tutorial.  (See
"Rendering with Radiance" p. 32.)  The scene description you sent was
missing the appropriate "illum" statement for the top window.

-Greg