[Radiance-general] calculation weirdness

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 17:11:30 CEST 2006

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your files with me.  It seems that your light
fixture has a very tight output distribution, which falls off
dramatically to the left and right.  The more you subdivide the light
source, the more accurate your results.  Your second Radiance result
is the more accurate.  Apparently, AGI32 only sends a single sample
to the center of the source, which is what you also get from Radiance
with the default -ds 0.2.

I discovered this by looking up from your sample point 120 inches
below the light source, which is itself 20 inches in diameter.  A
perspective view shows that even at this distance, the fall-off is
quite noticeable.

Bottom line, the rtrace -ds 0.1 result is more accurate.  Whew!

-Greg