[Radiance-general] Free version of SketchUp released by Google (butthere's a catch)

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Fri Apr 28 21:29:23 CEST 2006

Jeffrey McGrew wrote:

> Sketchup Pro uses Ruby as an API. So I don't see why someone wouldn't
> be able to make an export plug-in for it to talk with Radiance. Ruby
> is a great language, from what I've seen it a lot simpler than many
> other ones, and if I was a Sketchup user I think I'd dig into it. It
> looks like a lot of fun...

Yeah, looks interesting.  I assumed that the Ruby API would have been
one of the things they crippled with the free version, but no, it's
there!  =8-)  Problem is, what I do not see in there is the ability to
set up object snaps, snap grids or direct coordinate input -- things I
use all day long.  Bummer.  There is a user-definable coordinate system,
but entity creation seems to be limited to drag & drop and some default
object snaps (that are always running).

Am I just missing something?

- Rob