[Radiance-general] desktop vs compile?

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 23:38:51 CEST 2006

Hi Chris,

As Vangelis pointed out in an earlier post, Desktop Radiance is out
of date -- about 7 years and counting.  Unfortunately, there's no way
to bring it up to date, and the current effort is to put out a
Windows edition of the current version.  Large parts of the system
compile, but there appear to be some problems remaining with the
parallel processing bits and rvu, which needs a user interface or a
working X11 server.  This is why some people are using the Cygwin
binaries, which run in a subenvironment to Windows.

Personally, I think you're 10 times better off with FreeBSD, Linux,
or OS X if you want to run Radiance.  The latest iMac's and MacBook
Pro are basically as fast as the PC's, if a little more expensive.
They're also better built, unless you're willing to spend the time
building your own machine, as some people like to do.

-Greg