[Radiance-general] subtended sun angle in gensky and gendaylit

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de
Tue Apr 4 13:52:00 CEST 2006

Hi Francesco,
dear folk,

I have been in some discussions with a user about gendaylit and
especially the cygwin- binary of it.
We found out, that the subtended angle of the sun differs from the
original gendaylit (0.533) version to the one, which we can download on
http://www.bozzograo.net/radiance(0.5 for cygwin binary).
For that reason, I checked in one of the main references in the solar
world (Duffie, Beckman: Solar engineering of thermal processes) and
found 32' for the subtended solar angle, which corresponds to 0.5333.

So I assume you changed the value in the source code, or? But as long as
you are not adapting the radiance value of the light source (which you
don't do), you'll loose more than 10% of the flux of the sun by reducing
the value from 0.533 to 0.5 !!

Is there any reason to use 0.5 instead of 0.533?

And a question to Greg: gensky is also using 0.5. Is there any reference
to that? But: As long as the overall flux is correct, the difference in
the angle can be neglected.

For the cygwin-version of gendaylit I would suggest to correct that
value in your version to 0.533 of the source code. In addition to this,
I'll try to put a gendaylit version on our Web-page, which can be
compiled also under cygwin without any modification. If ready, I'll
announce this here again.

Cheers,

Jan

--