[Radiance-general] RADIANCE and Unix shells

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Sep 29 20:05:23 CEST 2005

Hey Rob,

I follow-up on that. I probably could have used a more robust cup of jo
this morning as I repeated the word in every darn sentence. Ack!

In general, I think that if you learn one of these things then entry
into the next becomes easier. I started out with csh, sed and awk, ages
ago, and while it worked it is ugly, I had to learn how to use three
different tools (heck, I think that you can by an O'Reilly book for each
of these). Nevertheless, shell scripting is definitely the most quick
and dirty way to get things done.

Rob is correct. A hugely confusing element to Perl (for which you can
buy a lot more than 3 O'Reilly books) is the fact that there are lots
and lots of way to do things, this can be both a pro and a con. Though I
think in general looking at other peoples code is always painful unless
it is extremely well documented. I cannot really speak for Python,
though I think it is probably a bit "cleaner" than Perl.

I think the crux of it all though is having an actual problem that you
are trying to solve and access to some good books with examples. This is
the best way to learn that I have found.

-Jack