[Radiance-general] rtcontrib & daylight coefficients

Iain Macdonald iain at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 15:25:22 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head around calculating daylight coefficients with
rtcontrib and then how to use them!

My observations/questions so far:

1) the tregenza cal files (one is mentioned in the man page) were not
automatically installed for me using the latest release on linux
(rad3R7P2all.tar.gz).

2) Using the example in the man page I calculated a set of daylight
coefficients:
rtcontrib -I+ -b tbin -o sky.dat -m sky_glow -b 0 -o ground.dat -m
ground_glow -ad 10000 -as 5000 -ab 1 -f tregenza.cal test.oct < test.dat
This results in two files sky.dat and ground.dat
In ground.dat there is one set of coefficients
In sky.dat there are 146 sets
I expected 145 in the sky file.  My belief is that the first set is for
solar elevations < 0deg and can be ignored (and will always be equal to
zero?) - am I correct?

3) Some strange behaviour has been observed with different sets of input
points.  I'm assuming that as with rtrace the input points are given as
6 numbers representing x,y,z of the sample point and i,j,k representing
the normal.  Given this if the first point has a normal pointing to the
zenith (say 1 1 6 0 0 1) then I get 146 sets for all points.  If the
normal faces another direction I'm getting different problems:
 137 sets (1 1 6 0 -1 0)
 139 sets (1 1 6 1 0 0)
 rtcontrib crashes (1 1 6 0 1 0) - rtcontrib: Bad expression! rtrace:
signal - Broken pipe.
and strangely enough if these points & normals are given after one that
works all is OK.  Something odd is going on - can anyone shed some light
on this for me please?

regards,

Iain

--