[Radiance-general] OSX and resolving rview conflict

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Sep 13 21:55:12 CEST 2005

Kirk Thibault wrote:

> I know that the old alias "rvu" causes problems with the Mac OSX
> implementation of RADIANCE.  After installing RADIANCE 3.7 after
> installing OSX 10.4 now "rview" invokes ViM and has the same
> problem.  How do I get rview to call RADIANCE's rview and not the ViM?
>
> Thanks for the patient consideration of my inane Unix question.

Actually, the scene previewer rview was renamed to rvu last year, since
rview is commonly an alias to ViM on many Linux machines.  If you've
installed Radiance 3.7, then you should be able to call up the scene
previewer with "rvu";  rview is no longer used (to call up the scene
previewer-formerly-called-rview, that is).  =8-)

Sounds like you have a clean install of Tiger and then you compiled the
latest Radiance source.  Assuming you saw no errors during compiling,
and you have your PATH and RAYPATH set, then rvu should work for ya.
(let us know if it doesn't.)

- Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org