[Radiance-general] Modellling light pipes / light tubes

Beeson, Brett b.beeson at cundall.com.au
Mon Nov 28 00:01:24 CET 2005

Hi  all,

I'll like to model the effect of light pipes in a two storey building.
These pipes would enter through the roof via a half-dome of glass.  A
highly reflective pipe (approximately 400mm diameter) runs from this
roof to the ground floor's ceiling where it strikes a diffuser and
lights the space below.

The obvious way to model this would be a vertical cylinder with a highly
reflective surface inside.  Probably the top surface (where the light
comes in) should be an illum surface.  I'm not sure, however, that this
method would be very efficient or accurate.

What's the best way to model these light pipes?  Has anyone done a
similar thing?

Cheers,

Brett

Brett Beeson

Sustainable Designer

CUNDALL

HSBC Building Level 20

300 Queen Street

Brisbane QLD 4000

tel:   +61 (0)7 3023 5048

fax:  +61 (0)7 3023 4000

www.cundall.com.au <http://www.cundall.com.au/>

Important Notice.  Use of this email and any attachments is subject to
the terms on www.cundall.com.au.

Please read that notice before proceeding.

If you cannot access these terms please telephone (02) 8424 7000 or