[Radiance-general] glazing modelling

Marija Cvetkovic cveleglg at bankerinter.net
Wed Nov 2 12:45:46 CET 2005

Hi,
I have few questions about accurate modeling of different glazing. I've read
all previous discussions on this list, and now I'll try to summarize my
thoughts about this subject.
Suppose we want to simulate the behavior of some single or multiple layer
glazing in Radiance, and the data of available glazings can be found in
Optics5 database (actually IGDB).
These are few possible procedures how to define and use this material:

PROCEDURE1
1. convert glazing (all layers) data from Optics5 to Radiance.
2. use output glass material for glazing definition.

Problem:
*Glass reflectance is calculated implicitly, and values from Optic5 database
don't have any effect.
This can be solved by using trans.cal functional file, and changing index of
refraction to obtain appropriate reflectance.
*Dependence between light incident angle and transmittance/reflectance is
implicit and it is calculated using the algorithm for common glass material.

PROCEDURE 2:
1. convert glazing (all layers) data from Optics5 to Radiance.
2. adjust BRTDfunc data, like Jack de Valpine suggested:
void BRTDfunc GlzSys_front_and_back
10
    if(Rdot, <r_front_refl>, <r_back_ref>l) if(Rdot, <g_front_refl>,
<g_back_refl>) if(Rdot, <b_front_refl>, <b_back_refl>)
    <r_trans> <g_trans> <b_trans>
    0   0   0
    .
0
9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3.Use this BRTD definition for glazing.

Problem:
*No transmittance/reflectance dependence of incident angle is taken into
account!

PROCEDURE 3:
1.convert glazing (all layers) data from Optics5 to Radiance.
2.Use BRTD definition and glazing.cal file to define angular dependence of
transmittance/reflectance values.  Definition would look like:
mod BRTDfunc my_glazing
10     rrho grho brho
        rtau gtau btau
        0 0 0
        glazing.cal
0
18     0 0 0
        0 0 0
        0 0 0
        FRRHO FGRHO FBRHO
        BRRHO BGRHO BBRHO
        RTAU GTAU BTAU
where:
    FRRHO FGRHO FBRHO is front normal spectral reflectance
    BRRHO BGRHO BBRHO is back normal spectral reflectance
    RTAU GTAU BTAU is normal spectral transmittance

3.Use this definition for glazing material.

Problem:
*glazing.cal calculate these functions ONLY for coated and clear glass with
the cut- off point transmittance=0.654. Below that value it is supposed that
glass is coated, and above that it is clear.

PROCEDURE 4:
1.convert each layer of glazing  from Optics5 to Radiance.
2.Create input file for glaze.csh script (see question below)
3.Call glaze.csh script and define 1 or 2 panel glazing, and all its
surfaces.
4.Use BRDTfunc created as output of the script, as glazing material.

Problem/question:
*Is it important what kind of glazing user defines? I know the main goal of
this script is to define fritted glass, but is the calculation OK for user
defined types of surface.

QUESTIONS:
1.Which of this procedures should be used in which real case? I suppose for
single pane clear glass we could use only glass primitive. Can glazing.cal
be used for all coated glazings, and glaze.csh for fritted ones?
2.What is the format of input file for glaze.csh script?
3.What if glazing have more than 2 layers?

Thanks,
Marija.