[Radiance-general] (no subject)

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:37:12 CET 2005

Hi Santiago,

I am sending you the scripts in a separate message, as I don't really
want to share these with the whole mailing list.  My intention is to
replace them with something more general and robust in the coming
weeks, and I don't want to create a lot of confusion beforehand.

The noise you are seeing can be reduced with different parameter
settings or high resolution sampling, but it will never go away.
Rtcontrib, unlike rtrace and the other Radiance tools, produces an
unbiased Monte Carlo sampling, which shows variance (noise) which is
an honest estimate of the uncertainty at each pixel.  You can try
running it through a noise reduction filter if you find it offensive,
but we can't use the irradiance interpolation algorithm with rtcontrib.

-Greg