[Radiance-general] simulation of a lightpipe

Giulio Antonutto Giulio.Antonutto at arup.com
Thu May 26 12:15:13 CEST 2005

Stefano,
it may sound too simple but unless you are about to design the optic
itself you should be considering to use some assumptions, just to make
life easier....

If your aim is to have a nice series of images, some daylight assessment
with daylight factor plots, luminance maps...
there are good tricks to save time and give reasonable answers:

you may use just a big glowing cylinder.

all you need to do is calculate manually the relation between input and
output for different time of the year, therefore link the external light
levels to the cylinder glow material radiance.

you may also use excel, just one calculation with one cylinder then
scale up and down based on external illuminance...

If you need to consider also the extinction within the cylinder you may
use a brightfunc that changes radiance with the length of the
cylinder....

but all these are really simplified things...

the ultimate option, as you say, is to go for photon mapping... or
photonmapping + radzilla but it is a little longer

ciao,
in bocca al lupo ;-)

giulio