[Radiance-general] fiber optics?

J. David Maino maino at psu.edu
Wed May 4 18:09:32 CEST 2005

Judy,

One option might be to use a program such as TracePro to model the fiber
optics. Assuming you know the lamp type used and its lumen output, the
material the fibers and end piece will be made of, the length you'll need
(which shouldn't be too hard to estimate if you know where the box is
located and where the fibers terminate), and an approximate shape for the
end piece, you should be able to put together a fairly accurate distribution
that takes into account losses in the fibers, box, and end piece. TracePro
will allow you to export the distribution to an IES file which you can then
use in radiance. Depending on how accurate you want to get this can take you
anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours to put together.

I'm not familiar with other ray-tracing/luminaire design programs like
TracePro, but I'm sure there are more out there that allow you to do the
same thing.

Hope this helps!

Dave Maino