[Radiance-general] trans mat

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:43:58 CET 2005

Wow, that's a great diagram, Schorsch.  I think I understand the
"trans" type for the first time, myself!

Be sure also to refer to section 5.2.6 (pp. 325-6) in "Rendering with
Radiance," which translates between more sensible physical quanitites
and the parameters of the "trans" type.  I believe Rob G. has an Excel
spreadsheet that implements these formulas nicely, if you'd like to
request a copy.

By way of excuse, the reason the trans type is so baffling is my
stubborn adherence to the principle that Radiance primitives have
well-defined legal ranges.  All the material parameters (except
roughness) have legal physical ranges of [0,1).  Since Radiance does
not enforce these limits, you can specify values outside this range,
but you should know that you are on shakey ground at that point.

That said, I freely admit that the obtuse derivation of the trans
parameters in particular has caused a good deal more consternation than
if I had used more usual values of Rd, Td, Rs, and Ts and simply noted
that these coefficients must sum up to something less than 1.  Oh,
well.

-Greg