[Radiance-general] Digital Camera recommendations?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:23:01 CET 2005

Thanks, Paul, for that wealth of information.

I just wanted to add a note on the RAW image files -- most of the time,
the native converters lose the exposure information on their way to an
(uncorrected) JPEG or TIFF image for Photosphere, so I don't recommend
RAW unless you know your camera is screwing with your JPEG's.
Photoshop CS actually does a decent job converting RAW files, saving
the exposure info in the Exif header, and it handles most varieties of
RAW.  Each RAW format is maker- and model-specific, which causes real
problems for long-term support and archiving -- another reason to avoid
this format.  RAW files also tend to be large, and their advantages for
reduced noise and exposure latitude are widely exaggerated.  Since
multiple images are averaged together to make an HDR, noise tends to
get smoothed out, anyway, and JPEG artifacts disappear as well.

That said, I encourage you to do your own experiments, but weigh the
cost in your time using RAW against the actual benefit you get from
them.  I've done my own, and I've found the benefit to be negligible
next to the effort required.

-Greg

P.S.  I should have included the Nikon 900 series in my list of
recommended cameras -- most people who have used them for HDR capture
have had good experiences from all I've heard.