[Radiance-general] Digital Camera recommendations?

Despina Michael despina_m81 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:23:18 CET 2005

Hi Rob,

I have create a couple of HDR probes lately and I can tell you what settings
I have used.

First of all, the sequence of photos that you have to take must be perfectly
alighned.
The only way that works for me to do that, is to place the camera on a
tripod and take photos remotely (that is connect the camera with a computer
and use remotly capturing pressing a key on the keyboard - camera's software
should have the appropriate software for that - but good cameras usually do
have)

I don't think so, auto bracketing is a good idea. Most cameras can take
about 3 (or 5) photos with Auto Bracketing but you need more in order to
create an HDR Probe (about10-15 photos)

In order to take the photos set aperture at a fix value and change only
exposure time in order to change the overall exposure.
You also have to set your camera at no flash.

You should  take a sequence of photos (about 10-15) with different exposure
times, changing 1 f-stop each time, starting with bigger exposure.
Before begin to take your photos, take one photo using auto-focus in order
camera focus on the mirrored ball. Then set manual-focus and don't change
focusing (that is in order to have all photos with same "focus value")

If you planning ton use hdrgen for generating HDR probe, I recommned you to
disable alignment algorithm. At least in my case, when alignment was enable
hdrgen gave worst results.

I hope it helps,
Regards,
Despina