[Radiance-general] Transparent textures (again)

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:30:38 CET 2005

Hi Axel,

The mixpict primitive uses the indicated function of the red, green and
blue channels of an image to determine how much of one material to use
versus another.  One of these materials may be "void", which I
recommend instead of the "glass" primitive that you're using in your
current example.  A "void" material is the same as a perfectly
transparent surface, which glass is not.  I would also recommend using
"glow" instead of plastic to show up your falsecolor lines as something
not truly belonging to the scene.

Here is a more complete example:

void colorpict fc_val
7 red green blue sp.pic fc.cal fc_u fc_v
0
0

fc_val glow fc_glow
0
0
4 1 1 1 0

void mixpict mp
7 fc_glow void nonzero sp.pic fc.cal fc_u fc_v
0
0
--------
The file "fc.cal" looks like so:

{ Use false color contour image as selector }
nonzero(r,g,b) = if(max(r,max(g,b))-FTINY, 1, 0);
fc_u = Px;
fc_v = Py;
------
The mapping for fc_u and fc_v may need to be a little more
sophisticated if your image and space don't match, or you can try
transforming the colorpict and mixpict primitives to match these
coordinates, similar to how it's done for picture.cal.  Let me know if
you need help with this part, and be specific with your questions (it
helps a lot).

-Greg