[Radiance-general] strange artifacts

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 23:15:46 CEST 2005

Hi Francesco,

This could be a problem with obj2mesh, though at first glance I can't
spot anything wrong with the code.  Is it possible that whatever
software is generating the OBJ is being clever and not including
surface normals on the flat quad vertices?  Say it was including
surface normals on the vertices next to the edge, where it needs
them, but not on the interior vertices, which should match the
geometric surface normals.  In such a case, I could understand why
obj2mesh would screw up as it converted quads to triangles, some of
which would have surface normals and others which wouldn't.  Where
such triangles shared an edge, you would end up with inconsistent
output like this.

It may be fixable, but I need to get a copy of your OBJ file to study
it.  Send it to me gzip'ped in a separate e-mail.  (No need to copy
the group.)

-Greg

P.S.  Out of curiosity, do you get the same results from obj2rad?