[Radiance-general] RE: Luminaire octree

Zack Rogers zrogers at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 23 21:51:29 CEST 2005

>Zack, you mention that you have
>a bounding box for the illum, but you don't mention that you have applied
>lboxcorr.

The bounding box illum was made by ies2rad, so it's been correctly
scaled, using boxcorr and everything.  So I don't think the problem is
related to this.

>In the standard case, Rayfront will automate all this for you,
>including the decision whether to use xform or instances for
>the geometry.  Just that each of your 4 elements must be treated
>as a seperate luminaire, by actually placing 4 markers instead of
>just one.
>
>But then, I'm not sure which surface in your example is supposed
>to serve as an emitter, so it may be too tricky for the builtin
>mechanism to handle it correctly. Is that the reason why you're
>trying the manual approach?

I am using Rayfront for most of this, I just go into the files when
needed, ie. to take out the sky when creating the lum geom octree.  I
tried, within Rayfront (my 2nd attempt), to have 4 markers for each of
the ies files + 1 marker for lum_geom (overlap between octree bounding
and ies cubes) and did not get any light output.

Thanks for all the feed back.  I have alot of alternative methods to
play with now.  Jack, your example makes sense and seems to be
essentially what I tried for my 3rd attempt.  I will try reorganizing
somewhat and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks!
Zack

--
Zack Rogers