[Radiance-general] Compiling RTcontrib on linux

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:09:27 CEST 2005

Hi Jelle,

> From: "Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research"
> <jelle.feringa at ezct.net>
> Date: June 1, 2005 2:14:25 AM PDT
>
> I have to admit I'm still thinking in 3.3 terms of Radiance.
> I haven't been able to track differences in the man pages, or other
> documents. What would be a good way of updating myself in terms of
> Radiance
> -besides browsing through the past 3 years of this & the
> development mailing
> list-?

You can pick up the main points of what's changed by browsing the
ReleaseNotes file in ray/doc/notes.  This is a simple, chronological
listing of changes since time memorial.  I also recommend downloading
my presentations from past Radiance workshops on code changes.  Each
year for the past few years I've given a summary of "what's new" at
the workshop.  These are available from www.radiance-online.org under
"Intl. Radiance workshops" on the main (left) frame.

> A small hiccup while compiling 3.6.1 though:
>
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib -I/usr/include/X11 -DNOSTEREO -o pcwarp pcwarp.o
> warp3d.o
> -lrt -lm
> make: Target `install' not remade because of errors.
>
> -> see the file trace on the end of this mail, could this be due to
> a lack
> of a tiff lib? I'm running the Ubuntu linux distribution.

Looks like you might have forgotten to download the required
overlay.  Is there even a ray/src/px/tiff directory on your system?
The file you want is called "rad3R6P1supp.tar.gz" and is available
from the downloads page.  Install it _right_over_ your previously
downloaded HEAD directory.  (Very important.)  Then try to recompile.

In future, just send me those error listings, to save load on the
list.  Thanks.