[Radiance-general] Announcing Radiance 3.7 release

Ian Tester ian at testers.homelinux.net
Wed Jul 27 06:27:44 CEST 2005

Greg Ward wrote:

> Added -pd option to handle depth-of-field blur in rpict.  This requires
> that the view directon (-vd option) include focal distance information,
> which is now preserved by the various view file routines, and reported
> by the vwright command.

 From the man page, this new feature completely replaces pdfblur. So
there's no need to render multiple images and average them together? I
haven't seen any other mention of this new feature. Does rpict simply trace
multiple rays for the one pixel?

Does it adapt e.g points in focus only require a few rays, but points out
of focus require more rays over the area of confusion (or whatever it's
called) ?
That would improve the efficiency/speed over the laborious pdfblur method.

Oh, and thanks to everyone involved in the development of Radiance. It's
amazing!

bye