[Radiance-general] estimating -av values, color

Carsten Bauer cbauer- at t-online.de
Mon Jul 25 22:06:51 CEST 2005

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> Hey, now that would be cool.  Is there any way that could be added to
> Radiance?  The ability to have multiple -av's for various materials
> would increase the usability of -ae, I think. Especially for large
> scenes that incorporate interior & exterior elements..

Hi Rob,
implementing this is more or less rather easy, I remember having played
around with it some years ago already, but I didn't find it rewarding
resp. worth the effort. The basic problem is always the 'flat'
illumination caused by the constant value.

When it comes to image generation, if you have large scenes with
exterior and interior parts both of importance for display in the image,
and/or e.g complex stuff like trees etc, you should give the 'scene'
feature of radzilla a try, with it's possibility of setting a separate
parameter set meaning also separate caches.
It depends of course on the type of object. Computers are fast now, so
even in million polygon octrees like a tree e.g a crude ambient cache
with -ab1 and -ad 60 or 100 or so is trackable. In such an obect the
errors caused by the crude cache are of no importance,  and  it
definitely gives better results than any constant value  approximation.
In other cases, if the outside part is of lesser importance but still
somehow visible in the image, setting -ab 0 and a constant av for the
whole outside part might of course suffice, and it can save you the time
and work of pasting some background stuff into the image with photoshop
etc later..

-cb