[Radiance-general] rvu: too many modifiers in ambient list

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Jul 15 16:12:54 CEST 2005

Hi Greg.

I followed your suggestion and used sed to replace all the modifiers in
my cad files. So marble_grey in object plane_1 is renamed to
plane_1_marble_grey now. However, there is one question left (in fact I
didn't really understand the overflow condition I am causing). If I
reduce the modifiers that will be included in all the object files to a
lower number (in fact, only the mappings are included into each, as
they are used in most cases). I wonder if I will get the "too many
modifiers" if I have e.g. three modifiers defined in all object files.
Is the overrun depending on the total number of modifier definitions,
or is it the limit that ONE modifier can't be defined more than the
fixed number? The latter means that I have to change a lot, as I would
have to examine the cad files also for the most common colorpict
modifiers (which I include into each object file so far). From what I
understood, I am afraid that will be necessary, but before spending
some hours on this, I would like to understand the nature of this limit
of modifier ids.

TIA+CU. Lars.

> If you can avoid duplicating your entire material library with each
> object, this should solve all your problems.

(This is the key point - I don't duplicate the entire material library
with each object any more now, but still some modifiers of the
library.)