[Radiance-general] rvu: too many modifiers in ambient list

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Jul 11 11:50:16 CEST 2005

Hi Greg!

I guess the problem arises somewhere else. I get this problem even with
only on -ae modifier now. I think the problem is that I simply have too
many materials defined. The check in ambient.c is done if I use the -ae
switch, but I don't think it is the number of -ae modifiers.

The background is that I do something stupid at the first look: I
include my global material library with every object of my scene, than
assemble the scene with replmarks. The reason for that (including into
each object instead using the library at the final oconv run) is that
my materials have to undergo all the transformations I apply to the
objects (because I use image maps massively). Before, I had precompiled
all these objects and used them as instances, so there was no need in
having the material definitions in all objects, but this gave a bad
overhead (the point is that a rotated instances still has its mapping,
but a rotated rad-scene has wrong mappings, cause the mapping is
rotated only if the material definition is IN the scene).

So I guess I will have to find a way to filter the materials better (so
that only the materials actually used are included into an object file)
or live with the instance overhead.

Thanks, CU Lars.