[Radiance-general] super high res images

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Thu Jan 20 20:27:34 CET 2005

Jack,

I usually break them up into 5-10 subimages, each one the entire
width, but a fraction of the height. I typically have 2 to 10
machines that I can render on (depending on whether work needs
the 8-proc Opteron cluster). I'll write the rpict commands by
hand, and "nohup ... -t 600 ... &" each command. Keep in mind
that I don't use a global ambient cache. I do the "-aa 0 -ab
[low] -ad [low] -as 0" trick to prevent the RAM requirements from
getting too high (and to avoid having to deal with NFS).

Then I just use rsync/scp to put the completed portions on one
machine, and pfilt there. pfilt uses only a very little bit of
memory, but it can be slow on massive images, especially with -r
and decent downsampling. Compared to the rendering, though, I'll
sit around and wait for the pfilt.