[Radiance-general] Discomfort Glare - How do I evaluate

furry at ihug.com.au furry at ihug.com.au
Tue Jan 18 23:26:21 CET 2005

Hi all,

I working on a glare study with reflected sunlight through a skylight causing
glare and we are evaluating different glass, laminates and meshes to mitigate
problems from the glare.

When I use Radiance to evaluate each view, I can get the results for:
- Guth Visual Comfort Probability,
- CIE Glare Index (Einhorn)
- Unified Glare Rating.

What I would appreciate some advice on is which is the most appropriate in this
case for determining when glare has been reduced to a generally acceptable
level.  Also, I am wondering what values would be considered acceptable for
each of these 3 methods of determining glare (ie. VCP > 70% or 50% ??? .. what
is generally considered acceptable?).

Thanks for your help,
Richard