[Radiance-general] Radiance tutorial (Was: MacosX and X11 and radiance and blender and brad)

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:21:05 CET 2005

Wow, Axel.  I hadn't seen these tutorials before.  They're amazing!
With your permission, I'd like to add them to the list of documents on
radsite, which is unfortunately down at the moment.  This also
dovetails with a discussion we've been having on the dev list about
providing an interactive repository (or Wiki) for Radiance user
documentation.  I know a lot of people don't subscribe to that list, so
I'll summarize:

It started as a rehash of why Radiance authorship is restricted, and if
there were any decent guidelines for code modifications, which is how
it got on the dev list.  Then, people started suggesting things about
how to set up documentation for the software, and it eventually came
back to some kind of FAQ service for beginners.  The general feeling is
that a lot of people who might otherwise be interested in Radiance are
put off by the command-line structure, the scattered documentation, and
the lack of any clear place to begin (aside from the book of course).
After all, not everyone wants to order a book and wait for it to be
shipped to their door just to decide whether or not it's worth the
effort to learn something.

The current line of reasoning is to provide a forum where more
experienced users could answer beginner's questions and have their
answers continually available and editable.  There would also be a
place for people to write essays on how they got started with Radiance,
things to avoid, and things to pay attention to.  How-to manuals and
tutorials such as Axel's would be a perfect jumping off point for a lot
of newbies, I would think.  The current set of tutorials on radsite are
getting a little "long in the tooth" so to speak, even if they still
have a lot of useful information.

I think we're going back and forth right now trying to come up with the
best way to set this up.  Some people have already set up their own
resource centers, and we could either link to them or take some of
their content into our own organization.  (See Georg Mischler's
Lighting Wiki example at <http://lightingwiki.com/> as an example of
what's already out there.)  Probably the best way to start is to write
to me if you have some materials to offer, and I'll talk with Peter A-B
about setting something up at radiance-online.

Thanks,
-Greg