[Radiance-general] Re: implementing Radiance reflection model

Tarik Rahman tarik.rahman at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 13:11:13 CET 2005

Oh, I know that Radiance handles the ambient term but say I wanted to write my
own code implementing the Radiance model, which terms would I need to multiply
the ambient value by?

Tarik

Quoting Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com>:

> Hi Tarik,
>
> > So for the ambient light of .5 .5 .5 I just add it at the end? I don't
> > need to
> > multiply by the diffuse component rho_diffuse?
>
> That's correct -- Radiance handles multiplication of the ambient with
> the various surfaces.  (It would have to for any scene containing more
> than one surface type.)
>
> -Greg
>
> > From: Tarik Rahman <tarik.rahman at ed.ac.uk>
> > Date: January 12, 2005 8:34:14 AM PST
> >
> > Thanks for that, made the correction for tan^2(delta) and delta is as
> > you say
> > delta = normal.dotProduct(halfwayVectorUnit);
> > where
> > halfwayVector = point_to_lightUnit  - point_to_camUnit;
> > halfwayVectorUnit = halfwayVector.normalize();
> >

> > So for the ambient light of .5 .5 .5 I just add it at the end? I don't
> > need to
> > multiply by the diffuse component rho_diffuse?
> >
> > Tarik

Tarik Rahman
PhD student, Institue of Perception, Action and Behaviour
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh