[Radiance-general] Problems using hdrgen for hdri generation

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Thu Jan 6 19:03:29 CET 2005

On Jan 6, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Despina Michael wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a student and I am new to hdri generation or processing so I need
> your help:)
>
> I am trying to use hdrgen (for linux) for generating an hdr image from
> a series of photographs with different exposure each, of a static
> scene .
>  I faced some problems and I have some questions for the whole
> process..
>
> 1) First of all, I would like to know which is the best way to take
> photographs with different exposure.
>  If I understand correctly there are two ways. Either by changing
> F-number and let fixed the shutter speed or either by varying shutter
> speed and let the f-number fixed.
> I would like to know witch of two ways is the best?

Depends on the camera you use as to which method is easiest.  I use a
Canon 300D digital SLR with Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB).  I set a
fixed aperture and shoot a sequence of three images, one at the base
shutter speed, one at the shutter speed which produces +1 stop of
exposure and one that produces an image with -1 stop exposure.  I
repeat this process to get the range I'm looking for (say, 7 or 8 stops
worth.)  I use overlapping exposures so that I can compare the lighting
conditions in identical exposures to make sure that the light is not
changing radically throughout the picture taking process.

I use a fixed aperture so that the Depth of Field does not change
throughout the image sequence.  I shoot "mirror ball" images and choose
an aperture and focal length that produce sharp focus of the ball and
very blurred focus on the distant background so that the edges of the
mirror ball are easy to see and define.

For example:

I would shoot a mirror ball on a stand using my camera fixed to a
tripod.  I use the timer on my camera to expose the 3 image AEB
sequence so that the image registration is as close as possible (i.e.,
i don't touch the shutter release, to minimize camera shake) and also
so that i do not appear in the images.  I set the desired aperture, say
f/8 and let the metered exposure tell me which shutter speed
"correctly" exposes the FIRST base image - here let's say it is 1/60
second,

I would then set the AEB for +/- 1 stop, the aperture to f/8 and shoot
the following sequence:

1) FIRST base exposure =  @ 1/60, -1 = @1/125 (faster shutter, less
light), +1 = @ 1/30 (slower shutter, more light)

then i would manually reset the shutter speed to 1/15 and shoot
2) NEXT base exposure = @ 1/15, -1 = @1/30, +1 = @ 1/8

then set the shutter speed manually to 1/250
3) NEXT base exposure = @ 1/250, -1 = @1/500, +1 =@1/125

etc. to cover the dynamic range you want to expose.  Each image is 1
stop away from its neighbor.  In this example I have:

MOST EXPOSURE < 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 > LEAST
EXPOSURE

seven exposures worth of images, which may be an acceptable dynamic
range for certain lighting conditions.

Notice the "overlap" at 1/30 and 1/125 - I would compare the two images
generated at identical exposures to make sure they are not drastically
different - if they are, that means the lighting is changing and the
exposures likely are not really 1 stop apart.

> 2) Are "Lens Aperture", "F-number" and "F-stop" same thing?
>  Are "exposure time" and "shutter speed" same thing?
> I know that these questions may seem to be "stupid" to most of you..
> but as I said I am not familiar at all, with all these ..

Do a google on these terms or see one of the many sites about basic
photographic principles.  These terms are not identical but in general
describe the parameters one may vary to determine how much light hits
the film or sensor (exposure).  A "stop" is essentially an increment of
exposure, with successive stops being related by half or twice as much
light as its lower or higher neighbor.