[Radiance-general] Hardware accelerated radiance

Michael Kruger mike at cityscape3d.com
Mon Feb 28 12:24:07 CET 2005

Has anyone done any work on integrating radiance with a hardware
solution? I'm thinking of porting the basics of radiance to an FPGA with
a view to (near-)realtime rendering from AutoCAD or similar. I'm
currently evaluating previous work in this area, and so far it appears
that the most difficult bit of the problem would be the hardware
implementation of complex functions for procedural textures and surface
models - in particular the generic lookup tables for images / function
data. Other than that it's just a lot of legwork... am I missing something?

Has anyone tried this in the past? Perhaps a different type of hardware
acceleration? Please let me know if you've got any success / horror
stories! :)

mike

ps: Another major problem for point + shoot rendering from 3D modeling
programs is ensuring oconv has a bounded finishing time for any given
model. Most models I work with in AutoCAD or Lightwave (exporter coming
Real Soon!) need extensive conversion work before oconv will run to
completion. (Most often it simply runs continuously until it dies
because it uses up all available memory. >4GB! ) Are other people having
similar problems?